Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Image of Controversy...

In the New York Post last Wednesday, a very controversial image was published in an attempt to criticize the stimulus package that was passed by President Barrack Obama.

The image showed two Caucasian police shooting a monkey with the officers saying, "they'll have to fine someone else to write the stimulus bill."

"It was not meant to be racist, but unfortunately, it was interpreted by many as such," said Rupert Murdoch, The Chairman of the New Post.

This cartooned imaged upset millions around the nation whether they were black or white.

The Steve Harvey Show, one of the nations biggest radio stations, brodcasted this image on their website and talked about the image on air for the last few days.

The NAACP are even attempting to get the cartoonists, Sean Delanas, fired for the image that indicates clearly a racial slur to many who are attempting to move on from that negative historically racial time from centuries ago.

"Do you really think I’m saying Obama should be shot?" said Delanas, "I didn't see that in the cartoon.

4 comments:

  1. I thought the cartoon was extremly inappropriate. I can not believe that it made it into the public eye. I know many people think it's raciest but I just dissagree. It just doesnt scream racism to me. But it is aimed at politics, wether the used the monkey to symbolize the stimulus plan or Obama, it doesnt matter it was wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt that the cartoon was racist, but at the same time I feel like that's the Post for you.

    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, unfortunately that includes opinions that aren't always painted in a positive light.

    I feel that they should not have posted such a cartoon, but I don't feel that a person should lose their job over it. The punishment should fit the crime, and making a person suffer for one cartoon is entirely unnecessary.

    I feel that here in America we still have a lot of social, ethical, and cultural boundaries to overcome, and this political cartoon did not help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Christina. The cartoon seems to be racist. I truly hope that it wasn't, and I truly hope that Delanas was only trying to make a political statement and not saying that Obama is a monkey because of a lack of intellect or because of skin color.

    However, Delanas should be given the opportunity to either show that the cartoon was not intended to have racist connotations or, if it did have racist intentions, then he should have the opportunity to apologize for his behavior and to seek counseling to help him deal with this bigotry. Having grown up in the south, I have dealt with the sad fact that many of my friends are bigots. This particularly came out during the election. It is a hard and shocking part of life; however, it is important to remember that the key to breaking down bigotry is by accepting bigots and helping them reform their way. If Delanas is a bigot, then I encourage the NAACP to help him understand the errors in his reasoning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although the picture seems to be racist, I see it as a joke that went a little far. The artist could have just been poking fun at politics. That is what I see. I don't think he should be fired because there are things that could have prevented it from getting onto the site. There has been much worse in the media, and a single photo shouldn't determine his job.

    ReplyDelete